Fagus sylvatica Purpurea - purple beech
Fagus sylvatica Atropurpurea - Copper Beech, Purple beech. The Purple Beech is a very popular choice as a standalone specimen and make great alternatives to fences or walls when grown as hedges. It has stunning dark purple-red foliage in the spring, turning into a dark green-bronze gradually over the year.
• Non-evergreen tree with purple leaves
• Other benefits: grey bark. Red-copper foliage in Spring & Autumn
• Wildlife attraction: bees, birds
• Height & spread (approx.) at 10 years: 7m x 7m
• Position: likes sun; tolerates part shade, light shade. They will grow perfectly well in either sun or partial shade and thrive on almost any well-drained soil.
• Soil pH: all soil types • Moisture: likes moisture retentive soil
• Winter hardiness: very cold to -20C
Supplied in a 3L black pot