Astelia Chathamica - Maori Flax or Silver Spear, Chatam Island Astelia
A. chathamica is an evergreen perennial to 1.2m tall, forming a large clump of silvery, sword-shaped leaves, with panicles of small greenish flowers followed, on female plants, by orange red berries.
It grows best in partial shade and in fertile and well-drained soil with moderate water.
• Height & spread (approx.): 0.6m-1.2m x 1m
• Position: likes sun; enjoys part shade
• Soil pH: all soil types, ideally fertile and well-drained soil with moderate water.
• Moisture: likes well drained soil
• Winter hardiness: mild winter. The plant is hardy down to −3 °C (27 °F), but the foliage may be damaged by frost, so in colder areas may need some protection.